August was a crazy month. Somehow we thought it would be a good idea to have a baby and move half way across the country in a 2 week time frame :) But we survived. More importantly, the kids survived and have adjusted! We have the most amazing nanny who agreed to come with us during the transition before she goes back home - we could not have done this without her.
So for me, this has meant little time for things like pictures! I cannot believe that Francisca is going to be 6 weeks old tomorrow and we have NO pictures from weeks 1-5. Oops! Ahh, the difference between the 1st and 3r child for me are worlds apart.

This move has been great for me - to move back home where I have my roots and my family is priceless. My parents have been amazing, more amazing than I could have imagined. They have leant a helping hand (or 2 or 3 or 4) at all times and especially when we need the break. They have been fantastic with the kids, but especially with Cata.
What hasn't been great for me is the challenge of setting things up for Cata again. It took the better part of the last 2 years to get all of Cata's therapies set up. I spent 10 months (and plenty of $$) getting an IEP I was happy with that gave Catalina the best placement option for preK - with typically developing peers. We found a nanny who is amazing with her. We had some help from the county. Now to a new state means back to square one.
The easy part was finding the therapists - as long as I don't worry about the fact that they don't take insurance - yes, none of them take insurance. So why have pricey health insurance? Finding a pediatrician has been my next challenge. They don't take insurance either! What? A pediatrician who doesn't take insurance? I found they either a) take insurance but they are not taking new patients or 2) don't take insurance. Lovely. Again, glad I have good health insurance.
What has been the most disappointing however is the school system - advertised to be a top public school system, now I see is another party more interested in their budget than those they are meant to serve. Never having met Catalina, then reviewed her detailed IEP from our prior state and then decided to place her into a classroom that is not appropriate for Catalina despite the previous IEP that states her placement should be different and despite my insistance. So instead, for my "free and public education" I will rack up thousands of dollars in legal fees to get the county to do what they should be doing anyway - making a recommendation based on the child (IEP does stand for INDIVIDUALIZED education plan) rather than based on political reasons. The most infuriating part is that they initially recommended a program that would probably be a great fit for Cata but then the powers that be told them to take back their recommendation and give the cookie cutter option instead (which this cookie doesn't fit into btw). So the school has deprived Cata of yet another month of school (and the lawyer said it would probably be 3 months before this is resolved), allowing for more of a developmental gap to grow between her and her typical peers with missed social opportunities. So thank you public school system for looking out for your wallet rather than the children in your community that need you the most - those children whose multiple disabilities make private school virtually impossible, those children who are smart, eager to learn, but trapped in a physical body that won't work, won't let them explore their environment, won't let them learn by trial and error. Thank you for "serving" your community.
On a brighter note, here are some pictures from a beautiful weekend!
Sweet little Francisca, almost 6 weeks old and already 8lbs 12 oz (from 6lbs 6oz)
These sweet little hands won't work right, but the mind inside does.
How cute am I?
Love these kiddos. Tomas is blowing a kiss to the camera.








3 comments:
Love the update - the pictures are great! I am so sad that I will not be seeing you in Chicago in November :( I hope that the school issues get worked out. I hate how hard everything has to be for our girls and for us as we help them. Stay strong (although I know you and you are one of the strongest women around!) Hugs to you and the entire family today!!
Dominique... so sad to hear about your school challenges! You should come a few miles north to Carroll County, Maryland! Emma has so many awesome people supporting her. Linda Burkhart lives here in this county and visits the schools.
Can't wait to meet you and your family! Beth Reilly
I'm glad to here you and your family are getting settled in, but I hate that the school adjustment isn't going so smoothly. It's a shame it is so difficult to get our girls what they need to be successful, but you are doing such a great job advocating for Cata. Take care!!
Post a Comment